I have been invited to write this letter to you for your year 11 retreat , it gives me the opportunity to tell you many, many things. Things that l verbally tell you most of the time anyway. Although lately between your schooling, study and work and my work and businesses- l find there is little time left in these busy days to just sit and chat about life and being.
So l welcome the chance to do so now. Please read this with an open mind, don’t be embarrassed and please don’t roll your eyes at it..after all you know l just love to write…and write..and write.
Just a few things l think about my only child Mollie and things that l want you to remember as you go through this amazing life-
· You are Unique
· You are the most precious gift to me
· I want you to never stop learning.
· Share your sense of humour- you really are funny
· You can tell me anything, anytime,anywhere, always and forever
· You don’t have to have the newest or priciest things, but you already know that!
· I adore you.
· Your body is precious- treat it kindly
· Nothing beats a hot chocolate in winter with lots of marshmellows-and l know you love that with your sweet tooth
· Take care of your clothes so you can donate them later on. Someone needier than you will welcome them. Always think of the person less fortunate than yourself- show empathy for others
· Wear sunscreen – skin cancer is rife under the Australian sun
· Always check your breasts monthly and have regular medical check ups, things can sneek up on you and its best to get on top of them early
· I love the sound of your laugh- so laugh long and often
· Be wise with your words and your money
· Try to put yourself in someone elses shoes-be empathetic, you struggle with this and it is something you most definitely need to work on. If you don’t know what it means – look it up!
· Always be gracious and show gratitude.
· Take your worries to the person who cares about you the most- me- always and forever
· It is great to be in charge of a situation but you need to work on being less bossy and more tolerant, sadly the world is not filled with mini u’s
· It’s ok to disappear sometimes to rest and recharge and gather your thoughts, as long as your mumma always knows where you are and that you are safe
· If you have an dodgy feeling about something (an outing with friends, a particular boy, getting in a car)- trust your gut. Go with that feeling- your instincts will keep you safe.
· Smile – even if you think that person is an idiot! They don’t always need to know what you really think of them!
· Take lots of pictures to document your life and whereabouts you have been -be the queen of the selfie and always create beautiful memories with your family, pets and friends. Life goes by way to fast and over the years you actually do forget!
· Always love animals, always have pets – and help care for the pets you have- they will keep you grounded!
· Enjoy the meals you make- they are the best and just as good as your mummas- Spend time to eat better from all food groups and for goodness sake EAT BREAKFAST (&lunch)!
· Hard work does pay off-sometimes it may not seem that way but persistence is the key
· Make a goal – pursue your dreams /find your passion -to do the course/s you want to do and that you can use thorough out life or just go out and get the job you want, that you love
· Appreciate your health. Some people don’t have that luxury.
· Don’t get caught up in comparing yourself to others -that is time wasted
· When you have worries – share them -sleep on them and wake up happy.
· Expect many ups and many downs in your life. But you will get through them , because you are one tough, strong cookie and you are smart
· Remember that your actions, not your belongings define the person you are
· Always trust your own judgement – it is impecciable
· When life feels like it is a little tricky- chat to me your mumma over a good coffee as you know l always love my coffee
· It’s ok to enjoy clothes — just don’t let them consume you or define you
· Some boys will break your heart, but I promise that you’ll get over them
· One day you will meet the person that worships the ground you walk on- because you deserve too and you are amazing and beautiful from within and out
· It’s ok to ask your friends (and your mum) not to swear.
· You know that money, doorknobs, public toilets, and phones carry millions of disgusting germs- SO wash your hands often and always, always carry hand sanitiser and don’t bite your nails. Always wash your hands! (and brush your teeth, and wear deodorant)
· Respect adults and the elderly and those that deserve your respect but also know its ok to stand up for yourself and your beliefs- don’t be a doormat and never take on other peoples stuff!
· Count your blessings. You have so much more than so many. Even though sometimes it may not appear like that- life can be hard, but that’s just this crazy world we live in- filled with many ups and downs!
· There is something very genuine about a handwritten thank-you note and a bunch of blooms-never forget to say thank you -just because
· Always , always remember how much l love and adore you
We have had an amazing 17 years together Mollie and wish for many more- you are a blessing to me and we are an incredible team together. We can overcome anything, we have so many special memories and you know each and every one of them. Just recall them when you think about me. Sadly l am not getting any younger and life ahead may be tough for me but always remember the beautiful lifetime of memories we share/d.
My job right now is to take care of you.
Your job is to do your very best you can with your life and be healthy and happy.
Always know that l am proud of you – no matter what. You are every breath l take and l love you so very much & my new tattoo shows it -Infinity x infinity (ps -best mothers day present ever!)
Much love always Mummy (aka Kathy ) xxx